About Me

My photo
I snort when I laugh. I don't sleep much. Music is my life. I'm extremely clumsy. John Mayer is the love of my life. So is Batman. I'm Mormon. I have a slight obsession with mustaches. I blog because I can. I say what I think when I think it. My sense of humor often gets me in trouble. I love adventures. I get lost constantly.

Monday, January 3, 2011

People never fail to surprise me.

Oh man. What a year!
2010 was hands down the craziest, busiest, most stressful, most awful, most perfect and fun year of my life so far.
I have met so many incredible people, had so many good, bad, and ugly experiences, and learned so much.
Looking back at me exactly a year ago, not much has changed. I was a scared kid leaving home for the first time, anxious about school, and nervous about everything that I could imagine.
Well, one year later, I'm still a kid, still scared, and still nervous.
I've finished my freshman year and I start my sophomore year on my 18th birthday.
To put it lightly, I've grown up a bit this year.
My first semester I was intimidated by everything and I was so not used to being in such a different situation from what I had known.
I was shy, I was naive, and I was a little worry wart haha.
But I blossomed.
I learned so much, and I became more and more comfortable with other people, with school, and most importantly myself.
I got straight A's taking 18 credits, I proved to myself and everyone else that I was competent and I learned what I needed to learn at that time.
Spring/summer came and I had to return home. I was upset because I had wanted to stay and continue my education.
Looking back now, I'm so glad I did come home because I was able to reconnect with and make new wonderful friends with the people in my hometown.
Fall came and I had to leave those wonderful people to return to school.
It was bittersweet because I finally had people to hang out with and I had to leave them.
Fall semester was a toughie. I struggled with my classes and my social life and lots of other things.
I actually failed one of my classes, which is a really hard thing for me because I can look back on my academic life and I can not remember one time ever failing anything. I have just always had an easy time with grades.
But it was a humbling experience that I needed.
Now its winter again and I'm headed back to Utah and school in a few days.
Truth be told I almost don't want to go. I'm nervous. After last semester I'm a lil shaken with my confidence about school and smarts.
I'm going to do so much better this semester. No slacking, and no assuming I'll get a good grade just because I'm showing up to class. I have to do my part and the Lord will take care of the rest.
I'll be back for the summer and I can't wait.
I miss home.
I forget how much I miss it until I come back.
I am loved.
The friends I have don't let me forget that ever.
I'm so grateful for all the people in my life. All I'll ever need to keep going is a hug and a good laugh. The people I call my friends have always and will always provide that for me and I hope to do the same for them.
I'm glad I can depend on people, and that I've learned to trust again.
When I think about how I always imagined my life, there's no way I could ever predict any of the experiences I've had.
As I heard someone describe it in testimony meeting today, life is like a roller coaster with its twists and turns, ups and downs, and scary and fun parts.
I have to agree with him, because I have been on that roller coaster for a few years now ;)
God is good and He always takes care of us. There's nothing that we can do that He hasn't done, there's nothing we can feel that He hasn't felt, and there's no one that can understand us better than Him.
I love my life, I love the unexpected dips and corners it has taken, and especially the people that have gotten on the ride with me.
So here's to a new year and to enjoying it everyday.
Don't forget to smell the roses, and don't forget to let others know how much you love them.
I love all of my people and I thank my God for them.
Let's make 2011 as good as it can be.
In the words of Auntie Mame "Live is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death."
So my last thoughts today would be to live life as much as you can.
FORGIVE.
Love as long as you live and laugh as much as you breath.
Appreciate the souls around you.
Be yourself, and be the best you you can be.
And never forget where it all comes from

2 comments:

  1. Wow Ducky! You express your thoughts so well and I just love reading them. Thinking about getting a blog for myself... We will see. Keep bloggin! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thanks girl! Writing/blogging is my release, so it's nice to hear it makes sense haha.

    ReplyDelete